How to Create Your Author Platform
Promote Your Books Without Being Pushy
Why Do You Need a Platform?
- To create fans and then make it so those fans can find you.
- Because there are 1.3 million books published a year and you need a fighting chance.
- So you can choose how to present yourself to the world.
- So agents, editors, and publishers can see what you bring to the table.
- So you can practice reciprocity and help those who have helped you, and lift as you climb.
- Because a book that no one reads is just a doorstop.
What exactly do I get with How to Create Your Author Platform?
Module 1: From Lackluster to Blockbuster: Your Online Author Presence
- What the heck is a platform?
- Who needs a platform?
- Why do authors need one?
- When should you start?
- Where does your platform begin?
- The key pages and elements every author site needs.
- How to start branding and easy ways to do it.
Module 2: Social Media Marketing, aka Meeting New People and Making Friends!
- What is social media, who’s on it, and why and when should you use it?
- Where do you find your readers and what to do once you’re there?
- What kinds of engagement to use
- All about Twitter, the language of Twitter, how to use it and understand it
- Creating your Facebook Author Page
- Harnessing the power of Facebook
- YouTube: The kinds of videos you should be creating
- Pinterest, why you’ll love it and how to use it
Module 3 - Creating Your Platform Using Email
- What is a mailing list?
- Why do you want one?
- Who should be on your list?
- When and how you should start your mailing list?
- What type of content should you send?
- Evergreen v. timely content
- How to build your list
- How to create sign up forms, freebies and pages to put them on
- How to deliver your freebies
Module 4 – Your Author Website
- What is WordPress?
- Why I recommend Wordpress
- How to choose a domain name
- Where to register your domain name
- How to install WordPress – I don’t just tell you, I show you all of this through step-by-step video tutorials
- How to set your general settings and keep your site safe through documents and video tutorials to make sure you’ve got the best security
- What are plugins and appearance, and themes?
- How to start your blog
- How to set up to auto post to your social media channels
Module 5 - Building Your Platform/, Using Social Media/, Living Life: How to Make Sure Your Head Does Not Explode (Otherwise known as balance)
- Separating personal from professional
- How to manage overwhelm
- Tools to help you balance your online addiction
- When to do your social media-izing
- How to autopost your blog to social media sites
- Time traveling tools (aka time savers)
- Social media dieting
Reasons I Created This Course
- Because I'm an author, like you, & I've been in your shoes. I know how frustrating it is to not know where to start.
- Because people ask me, "Where do I start?" And "How can I build a platform?" Simple as that. I know how and can show you, too.
- I've made mistakes. You can leapfrog over years of time and frustration with my help.
- I've sold over 820,400 traditionally published books (and counting!) and launched my indie pubbed book on Amazon at #1 after I created a solid author platform.
Katie Davis is the author/illustrator of over a dozen books for children and teens from Harcourt, Inc., Simon and Schuster, and HarperCollins, among others. She self-published How to Write a Children's Book and How to Promote Your Children's Book, both debuting at #1 on Amazon. All told, her books have sold over 820,400 copies worldwide.
Because Katie’s secret superpower is her ability to teach writers about writing, tech, and marketing, she created digital courses and products for writers such as How to Create Your Author Platform (and Market Your Books without Being Pushy), Video Idiot Boot Camp, and Launch Your Book Blueprint. She also co-created Picture Book Summit, the largest and first live online conference of its kind.
Katie’s first podcast was an interview show and began in 2010. Her second is Writing for Children, full of bite-sized, craft oriented lessons. As a regular guest on WTNH, Katie recommended children’s books for years, and has appeared on the TEDx stage.
Katie has been honored to speak everywhere from a maximum security prison, to elementary schools, to university level, including UCONN and Yale, and has keynoted conferences and fundraising galas.
Using her now not-so-secret superpower allowed Katie to take over the 49-year-old Institute of Children’s Literature and its sister school, the Institute for Writers, where, as of this writing, over 470,027 people have taken college level writing courses and learned to write for both children and adults.
Here's what's included
StartVideo #1 - What is a platform? (9:19)
StartVideo #2 - When Should You Start Working on Your Platform? (4:31)
StartVideo #3 - Why Do You Need a Website? (6:40)
StartVideo #4 - How to Build Your Website (6:59)
StartVideo #5 - What Every Website Needs (9:21)
StartVideo #6 - Your Author Brand (9:32)
StartModule #1 Slides
StartVideo #1 - What is Social Media? (15:09)
StartVideo #2 - Where is Your Community and How to Engage Them (9:49)
StartVideo #3 - Harness the Power of Facebook (10:35)
StartVideo #4 - Let's Talk about YouTube (12:44)
StartVideo #5 - How to Be Tweetastic on Twitter (19:14)
StartModule #2 Slides
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Create Your Author Platform (and Market Your Books without Being Pushy) is the exact proven step-by-step system to create your platform and grow your audience.
Complete hand holding. Telling you EXACTLY what to do. Walking you through the entire process.
I can’t wait to help you dominate with your online platform.