The Institute of Children's Literature has you covered with our new self-led REVISION POWER: Revise to Publish course.
The deceptively simple 300-word story you encounter in a picture book or magazine for toddlers may have gone through dozens of drafts before it appeared in print. The seemingly straightforward article about endangered coral reefs you see in a middle-grade magazine may have been recast, reorganized, and revised until it scarcely resembled its first draft.
Was this the work of editors? No, it was work done by the writers themselves before they submitted their manuscripts for publication—a process of self-editing that shaped and polished their writing to professional standards and to each magazine’s requirements.
The goal of this self-led course is to teach you how to make self-editing a systematic part of your writing life—not an extra step you impose on yourself, but an ongoing, creative, and even pleasurable aspect of developing your ideas into polished, marketable stories and articles.
There are 10 workshops with 101 units covering fiction and nonfiction revision strategies. With workshops, exercises, and checklists for books, articles, AND submissions - it's three revision courses in one!
- 10 workshops with downloadable PDFs and exercises
- A Children's Publishing Genre Guide
- Checklists in each workshop
- Raw examples - we show you how we polished them to make them shine
- Punctuation Pointers
- Dialogue samples that illustrate how to make corrections of common errors
- A magazine issue analysis guide so you know where, why, and to whom you’re submitting
- Age-targeting for fiction and nonfiction
- Quizzes in the Your Turn sections
Book Markets for Children's Writers ebook and print edition ($35.94 value)
Magazine Markets for Children's Writers ebook and print edition ($35.94 value)
Revision Power: The Best Words to Write With ebook and print edition ($27.94 value)
- Interview with NYT Bestselling author and editor Emma Walton Hamilton about query letters
- Interview with Philomel Associate Editor Talia Benamy on polishing your submission
- Interview with award-winning author, poet, and writing instructor Renee LaTulippe on word level revisions.
- FREE! First year of a Second Story Writers' Block Membership ($276 value)
- FREE First Pages Critique from an ICL or IFW instructor! (up to 500 words, $75 value)
- 25% off a full manuscript critique from our Critique Service (up to $2,375)
- and much, much more.
Remember, it’s digital and online, you have access any time, anywhere you have an internet connection. Plus, it's lifetime access, so you can use these workshops on every manuscript you write.